OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2011

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2011 11:59:09 -0500
February 24, 2011

Today at our farm on Flint Ridge we feature common grackles as the new
arrival. There is a flock of approximately 80 birds squawking about, flying
from the agricultural field across the road and making incursions to our
yard to feed on sunflower seed. When they took flight from the field a
moment ago (11:50 AM) I noticed three red-winged blackbirds flashing amidst
the flock, but they are almost entirely grackles. I have not seen any rusty
blackbirds among them, and I did look.

Other "arrival" notes:

During a trip to my local bank on Tuesday (2/22) I saw a lone killdeer
swooping over Route 40 just east of here, near West Muskingum High School. I
haven't seen nor heard any on the farm yet, but I expect them soon.

There are still significant patches of a snow/ice mix on the fields here.
Last night at dusk Jane and I walked to the top of the hill. I heard no
woodcocks. They have been oddly scarce the past few years, but I will keep
my ears open.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County