OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2018 13:08:35 -0500
Many readers will recall that I write articles about birds, especially
those of Ohio. They will understand that in many cases it is important
to describe in these writings what is known about these species'
presences in Ohio as specimens. An example I mention in an article in
preparation about solitary sandpipers is that the Cincinnati Museum is
said to have possessed a specimen of a cinnamomea solitary sandpiper
collected in Hamilton County in 1880; this western subspecies is not
otherwise known --so far as I know--in our state. Neat, but I had to
know a helpful informant at the Museum to locate it, because as of yet
the Cincinnati museum, like other institutions, has not finished a way
for the public to browse its bird collection.
        As far as I know, the only large collection of birds in Ohio
that's been finished and shared with the public is that at Ohio State
University here in Columbus (now available on VertNet). I use its list
often, and helped as a volunteer during its development, so I have a
feel about how long this task requires. Since the OSU collection was
inventoried a couple of years ago the two other large museums in the
state--in Cincinnati and Cleveland--have been working for more years on
searchable internet collections. There are lots of very interesting
specimens in their holdings, but you have to make a formal request for
information on each one (if you know what to ask for), which ties up
staff to record and mail information for each inquiry.
        What rare and interesting specimens do these and other Ohio museums
possess? How does the average person find out, other than making
formal requests for a given species in each case? I know that both
museums have been working for years on internet entries to records of
their collections, which is a good thing. But this effort is taking such
a long time. Do they have dodos, an archaeopteryx? Ohio specimens of
whooping cranes, ivory-bills, corncrakes, anhingas, or albino crows?
Should the public soon be able to scan through their holdings to find
out certain specimens?  If so, are databases of flora or bacteria under
consideration holding up those of birds? Free the birds! Ask the questions!
Bill Whan
Columbus