OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cole DiFabio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cole DiFabio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2018 18:59:19 -0500
Good evening,

A report of an Ancient Murrelet came in from Michigan, first seen in St
Joseph, (
http://birding.aba.org/mobiledigest/MI03?fbclid=IwAR0heefMLqSgUvKdpmxjn41qWlGuQoL-7JqX2PxWyeZLONoKdshARocW6mA#1498626)
at 9 am, then spotted less than 30 miles south within official Indiana
waters not too long after. The bird was seen briefly here
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S50077779?fbclid=IwAR0ZXP6sQ_tmvC5moNdjVOArURg_2ZAf3evvNTIQWYKOMm06c2k1gd2G_Bk

It flew south from Lake Michigan (Indiana waters) shortly after. Although
this may sound crazy, it is not impossible, in my opinion, for this bird to
continue flying east into Ohio. To be fair, it was sighted ~140 miles to
the west of the Ohio state line, but based on watching the current wind
radars, western Ohio tonight, and most of Ohio tomorrow, will have strong
SW switching to W winds, then more NW as the day progresses. Given the last
sighting of the Murrelet was flying south from Lake Michigan, maybe a very
lucky Ohio birder can stumble upon this bird if it flies into Ohio with
that beneficial tailwind. It obviously likes (or has been boosted) to fly
east!!

Enough with my wild musing. If anyone read this far, I will share a quick
update of birds in Ohio recently (some not all personally seen):

Eared Grebe (found by Oscar Wilhelmy on Nov 17) continues at Alum Creek SP,
viewed from the canoe launch, or known as the Sailing club access in eBird
(40.1980029,-82.9705149)

Black-legged Kittiwake continues Nov 20 at the Hoover Dam Spillway per
Nicholas Rosner.

Numerous Red-throated Loons reported from Lake Co. recently along the
lakeshore, as well as a couple observed from Cuyahoga Co. too.

Snowy Owl: Mosquito Lake causeway (Trumbull Co.).

Northern Shrike recent sightings: Killdeer Plains, Magee Marsh, and
Mosquito Lake.

Common Redpoll, at least one at the Lorain Impoundment the past week.
Plus Evening Grosbeaks continue to get reported here and there.

Winds this week look to be shaping up for good lakewatches.
Good birding.

--
Cole DiFabio