OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Terry Bronson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terry Bronson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2018 15:10:42 -0500
I visited the Wilds and surrounding areas in the 3 counties mentioned in
the title this morning. Highlights included:

Rough-legged Hawk--1 light morph bird near the intersection of Prouty Road
and what I believe is Ruraldale Road south of Route 340. Perched in a tree
facing away from me so I didn't see the black belly, but the other field
marks indicating a juvenile--light head, brownish mottled back and wings,
and tail that was white near the body and black on the terminal end were
easily seen through the scope. When it flew, I saw the large black patches
near the middle of the underside of the wings.

Trumpeter Swan--16 adults and 6 juveniles in the pond along Zion Ridge Road
below the Jeffrey Point observation platform
Canada Goose--39 in pond to right of Jeffrey Point observation platform, 64
in pond along International Road
Mallard--13 in Zion Ridge Road ponds, 5 along Ruraldale Road
American Wigeon--1 female in southerly Zion Ridge Road pond
Ring-necked Duck--38 in Zion Ridge Road ponds, 22 in Straker Lake along
Route 340
Lesser Scaup--1 in same pond as swans
Bufflehead--4 in same pond as swans
Hooded Merganser--10 in pond to right of Jeffrey Point
Pied-billed Grebe--2 in Straker Lake along Route 340
Northern Harrier--1 along Zion Ridge Road
Red-shouldered Hawk--1 along Ruraldale Road
Red-tailed Hawk--5 along International Road, 2 along Route 340, 2 along
Ruraldale Road, 1 at Jeffrey Point
Pileated Woodpecker--1 at Ark Spring Baptist Church cemetery along Route 284
American Kestrel--2 along International Road, 1 at intersection of Routes
146 and 340, 2 along Chapel Drive, 1 at intersection of Routes 821 and 215
east of Belle Valley
Golden-crowned Kinglet--1 at Jeffrey Point
Eastern Bluebird--5 along Chapel Drive, 2 along Route 215 near Agricultural
Research Station
Cedar Waxwing--10 at Jeffrey Point
American Tree Sparrow--4 along Zion Ridge Road
White-throated Sparrow--2 along Prouty Road

--
Terry Bronson
Marietta, OH