OHIO-BIRDS Archives

May 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Andrea Krava <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrea Krava <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2017 17:51:12 -0400
Greetings!

I spent a few hours at one of the newer Columbus and Franklin County Metro
Parks, Rocky Fork.  (I actually work there, but I was off today!)  There is
mixed habitat such as some woods, some meadow, some shrub/scrub/small tree
areas, and open roadsides.

The most productive area was the off-leash pet trail, where warblers were
easily found in the medium sized trees and openings.

I was surprised at the lack of thrushes, tanagers, and flycatchers.  But
the diversity of birds was still nice.  I will definitely continue to spend
some time birding this park and look forward to new finds as the
seasons/years go by.  My ebird list is below.

Andrea Krava
Senior Naturalist - Blendon Woods and Rocky Fork Metro Parks

Rocky Fork Metro Park, Franklin, Ohio, US
May 10, 2017 8:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Off leash pet trail, Beech Woodland Trail, North Meadow
Trail, and roadways
57 species

Mallard  1
Black Vulture  1
Turkey Vulture  7
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Sandhill Crane  1     Flyover (calling) North Meadow Trail
Mourning Dove  2
Black-billed Cuckoo  1
Chimney Swift  12
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  2
Red-headed Woodpecker  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  1
Great Crested Flycatcher  2
Eastern Kingbird  2
White-eyed Vireo  1
Warbling Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  5
Blue Jay  6
American Crow  2
Tree Swallow  3
Barn Swallow  3
Carolina Chickadee  4
Tufted Titmouse  4
White-breasted Nuthatch  2
House Wren  1
Carolina Wren  2
Eastern Bluebird  2
Wood Thrush  1
American Robin  8
Gray Catbird  5
European Starling  4
Cedar Waxwing  1
Ovenbird  1
Northern Waterthrush  1
Nashville Warbler  4
Common Yellowthroat  1
Northern Parula  3
Magnolia Warbler  1
Bay-breasted Warbler  1
Yellow Warbler  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler  2
Black-throated Green Warbler  6
Wilson's Warbler  1
Field Sparrow  10
Song Sparrow  12
Eastern Towhee  2
Northern Cardinal  8
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  3
Indigo Bunting  2
Bobolink  1     Heard only, singing by pond in North Meadow Trail
Red-winged Blackbird  15
Eastern Meadowlark  1
Common Grackle  6
Brown-headed Cowbird  8