OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2023

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bruce Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2023 09:32:01 -0400
I visited this area July 22nd and 23rd I have seen all 4 Vireo young and all 19 Warbler young except CSWA
  Most birds are off territory I listen for “Chips” and some Songs to locate the birds. They are in loose flocks meaning there’s multiple Warbler species and Songbird species flying around together All the Flocks I found were in Hawthorn trees eating caterpillars

Songbird young
BRTH
TUTI
ACFL
BGGN
CARW
RWBL
EAKI

Bird seen eating a Dragonfly-EAKI

Tanagers
 SU
 SC

Hawks
RT
RS

Woodpeckers
PIWO
NOFL
RHWO

Flycatchers
ACFL
EAWP

Chuck-will-widow—seen in the middle of a limestone gravel road getting salt and other minerals from the Limestone-This was at 9:07pm This is Much earlier than I normally observe them
Whip-poor-will— fell asleep and woke up listening to their song Flushed either a Whip-poor-will or Chuck-will-widow at 6:45am

I Bunting
Blue-gray-gnatcatcher
B Thrasher
Cedar Waxwing
Yellow-breasted Chat
E Towhee
G B Heron
B Kingfisher
E Kingbird
W Thrush
G Catbird
Song Sparrow
C Wren
Yellow-billed-cuckoo— As we know this bird is heard more than seen When the Black Walnuts ripen later this summer the YBCU and BBCU can be seen eating large white caterpillars in the Black Walnut tree

Highlight
   Observed a young KEWA eating Caterpillars in a Hawthorn tree for around 5 minutes
 Raven(my puppy)- picking herself Black Raspberries
Bruce Simpson-Nature Photographer

Sent from my iPhone