OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2021

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 2021 12:31:28 -0400
It was good! I will be a bit late for work..... It's Ok!

i had very good success in open areas, not much success when I
walked a bit of the trail by the Canoe launch. Too dense.

The Connector trail and the road to the Canoe launch were great!
Met fellow birders. Missed the Golden-winged Warbler and Canada
Warbler though. Someday a Golden-winged......It might be the same
i dividual from a couple days ago. Along the road to the canoe launch -
theres a nice area of trees there. Its a morning sun thing though.

No flycatchers for me today. Interesting.

My migrant birds -
7 warbling vireos - they do breed here though.
No Phila today.
3 Brown thrashers
3 black and white warblers
11 tennesse
1 nashville
2 common yellowthroats
3 Redstarts
1 Cape May
3 Parulas
3 Bay breasted
2 Chestnut sided
1 Blackpoll
2 Black throated Blue
3 Black throated green
1 Wilsons warbler

BT Green is new for my SW ohio big year. Yea! And I think I even
managed a pic for my inat big year! Wilsons is probably new for the
big year. I'll look tonight. I keep an excel chart.

I think I found a couple new plants for the inat big year too! And a
spread wing skipper. I hate skippers open winged.....

Good birding all. Was going to try for the Cowan lake WR Sandpiper
after work, but now that I am getting a late start......might have to wait
til Sat. afternoon.

Shorebirds do know somehow good habitat. An impoundment in my
NJ review area has been drawn down. And yes the shorebirds have
found it. The filter numbers are set for normal flooded stage......

Shorebirds will feed out in the marsh mudflats at low tide. So they
are around. I wish the powers that be would keep that impoundment
down. Shorebirds have less time to feed on mudflats - rising sea levels.
Medium tide is no good anymore.

impoundments do have to be flooded now and then for phragmite control,
bacteria control, etc. Theres a lot that goes into decisions to keep
flooded or not. New water control structures are being added also, allowing
tides to go in and out. Etc.

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini