OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2024

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2024 12:22:21 -0500
I checked out a couple spots around Buckeye Lk including the puddles off of Route 40 mentioned by Robert Thorn in his post yesterday. The puddles gave me my FOY Canvasbacks, a pair. There were also redheads, mallards and N Shovelers there. I also picked up my FOY Killdeer. A Red-tailed Hawk flew over.

I swung by the fish hatchery but only Canada Geese & a couple Great Blue Herons.

 From there I went to Leib’s Island in hopes of seeing Long-tailed Duck. It was not in sight initially but popped up on the little inlet the highway bridge crosses. It was staying in that general area but gave good looks even if it wasn’t as close as it sounded like it was yesterday. A bonus was one Snow Goose flying with 4 Canada Geese, another year bird.

A birder there told me he’d seen Bufflehead at North Shore which I had missed in January. I headed there and was saw one male Bufflehead and also some distant Ring-necked Ducks and more Redheads. A Kingfisher flew by.

I stopped by the puddles on the way back but it was the same assortment of ducks but no Killdeer.

A couple kestrels were seen on the wires along the route.

Beautiful morning to be out.

Yesterday late afternoon, I saw 2 Mockingbirds & a N Harrier at the Land Lab (Granville).

Peggy Wang
Granville

Sent from my iPhone