OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2015

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2015 18:50:45 +0000
Horned Larks can be identified, flying away, by their black tails.  Snow Buntings are mostly white.  Lapland Longspurs are a bit smaller than Horned Larks and, as mentioned, look darker overall than Horned Larks.  These are just things you might notice at a glance as they are flying up from the road.
It's possible (I did it in Hancock County the other day) to stop on a quiet rural road and wait for the group of birds to settle again, then to slowly creep up on them in your car.  Take a look in binoculars as you get closer.  This is how I picked a couple longspurs out of a group of larks...
Hope this helps,Carlton Schooley