OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2015

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2015 00:18:12 -0500
The Long-tailed Duck and the Harlequin were nowhere to be seen for a couple
of hours after you left. The Harlequin flew in with a bunch of Redheads,
and the LTDU literally came out of nowhere. I was standing there right next
to the seawall talking with Donna Owens, and it surfaced literally at our
feet! It was working the entire length of the seawall. I got to experience
not getting a great photo because my subject was TOO close lol.
Donna told me that she saw another picture online of this LTDU, and it also
showed the bird hugging the seawall.
I watched it work its way in and out of the indentations of the seawall. I
had to get on my knees and reach over the wall to get a good look, although
occasionally it would come out a few feet, but that was it.