OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2017 11:24:57 -0500
The Eskimo Curlew is one of several Ohio birds that Peterjohn does not
include in his "The Birds of Ohio"(2001). I've held one in my hand.
These oversights seem to come from his failure to visit Ohio museums.
The OSU Museum has five specimens of the Eskimo Curlew, one each from
Labrador, Texas, Massachusetts, one with no data, and another from Ohio,
whose tag reads "Ohio, Erie County, vicinity of Sandusky, plus or minus
10 miles. Dr. William Graefe or Ed Hinde, E. L. Mosely collection.
Originally mounted, relaxed--skinned by Woodrow Goodpaster. Only Ohio
specimen?" Does anyone know of other old Ohio specimens in a museum
here? I suspect several other Ohio records not treated as species in The
Birds of Ohio for the same reason.
Bill Whan