OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2015

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2015 01:11:32 -0500
Greetings!

I guess I should have gone last week...oh well.  The Loggerhead was MIA
today.  However, I did take a stab at getting every Ohio daytime
winter raptor in one day..I just missed a Merlin in Dayton...and a
Broad-winged, but those have been hard to find this year.

At the Shrike site, I had both a Sharpie, and a Cooper's Hawk (Which
affords me to propose a theorem: 1 Sharpie + 1 Cooper's = 0 Shrike.). If it
is there, it is hiding very well.

After an hour I decided to head on back and swing by Dayton to try to get a
Merlin.

On the way, I had multiple Kestrels and Red-tailed Hawks, plus a
Red-shouldered Hawk.  I got to Hillsboro and picked up both Vultures.

I had picked up a couple of Eagles early in the trip, so I was really
hoping to get the Merlin, to no avail.  But I did get Common
Goldeneyes, female Bufflehead, and Hooded Mergs at Greenwood Park in
Dayton.  Not the day I had planned, oh well. :-D.

Harriers I picked up at Lawrence Woods as I was racing to beat the Sun.

A lot of the normal wintertime birds filled my list for the day.

HappyBirding, and God Bless!

Steve J.