OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2023

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2023 21:14:26 -0400
I made a belated trip to Alum see if the Laughing Gull was still around at the beach area but I didn’t see it. I did see at least one Common Tern but believe there were 2. Two terns were fishing near one another at some distance but both looked good for Common then one landed on the beach where I could confirm the ID. It then flew off and joined the other again.

I also had brief looks and heard one Caspian Tern. Only gulls were Ring-billed.

The last few visits to Denison have yielded the expected breeding birds there but a surprise was Wednesday when I heard a Black-throated Blue Warbler singing repeatedly. Despite an extended effort, I couldn’t get a visual—it stayed in the heavily-shaded woods near the hyacinth trail. A v late migrant I presume? I looked & listened for it again on Thursday but no luck.

I saw a Chat with food in its bill and it was making a muffled alarm call as I presume it waited for me to get farther away from the nest before delivering a meal.

A Kentucky Warbler was perched & singing yesterday—I wondered if it might be trying for a 2nd clutch.

Im delighted to have a catbird coming into my suet feeder regularly.

Peggy Wang
Granville
Sent from my iPad