OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2022

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2022 20:28:41 -0500
I started at Armleder again, helping to try and refind the Harris’s Sparrow.
No luck. It was hit or miss there for me - depending on the section. I had a
Swamp sparrow. Didn’t have that yesterday! The area with the most birds
Was a field down by the canoe launch. I was thinking about bushwacking
That field, but really wanted to hit other areas. Like Caesar creek for the
Pacific Loon that Austin found! Great find! But it flew. Someone should check
Cowan Lake! That Kittiwake ended up there…..

So I went field birding. The snow is going to be gone soon. Success! There
Were fields with nothing for quite awhile! I was getting worried. Then I turned
Down Texas Rd. Clinton county - 60 Horned Larks and 4 Longspurs. Longspurs
Is a county bird. Thought I would try Highland county and the gravel pits again.
The east lake was open and had a nice selection of waterfowl.
1 Canvasback, 35 Redhead, 8 ring necked ducks, 3 Lesser scaup, 1 bufflehead,
1 goldeneye, 22 Ruddys, 1 Pied billed Grebe, 83 coot. The Canvasback was new
For the county. I had no field birds exploring the fields around there. Surprising.
But did have 1 Longspur and 30 larks along Mad River Rd. - Highland county.
Both new county birds!

I checked ebird for my high count of Longspurs - 130. Down here. Nice! I like
To see numbers.

Wed. Will be local. Unless that Pacific Loon is refound!

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini