OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2009

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 2009 08:06:53 -0700
I was at Conneaut yesterday from dawn until noon.  There were a couple waterfowl hunters with decoy spreads set up near the spit, but they never got to fire a single shot all morning.  Other than the local mallards, absolutely zero ducks flew by or came in to the decoys.  There were some shorebirds moving through, and Bonaparte's gulls have finally arrived there.  The morning's highlights were: 7 blue-winged teal, n. shovelers, green-winged teal, pied-billed grebe, 2 black-crowned night-herons, Am. coots, 9 black-bellied plovers, 2 killdeer, greater yellowlegs, 7 sanderlings, WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER (molting juv.), 40 dunlin, 150 Bonaparte's gulls, 2 great black-backed gulls, belted kingfisher, 3 horned larks, and 6 SNOW BUNTINGS (FOS).  Next I went over to Ashtabula.  It was slow there, 75 double-crested cormorants, ring-necked ducks and pied-billed grebes were the only notables.  I headed south to Mosquito L. and spent the rest of the afternoon
 there.  The NW end of the lake was loaded with waterbirds.  I did a lot of scoping from the two vantage points off of Hoagland-Blackstub Rd.  Birds there included 100 gadwalls, 20 Am. black ducks, 20 Am. wigeon, 5 n. pintails, 15 n. shovelers, 100 green-winged teal, 15 hooded mergansers, pied-billed grebes, 25 great blue herons, 3 bald eagles, 5 killdeer, AM. AVOCET, 15 greater yellowlegs, 8 dunlin, and Bonaparte's gull.  Elsewhere in Mosquito WA were double-crested cormorants, Am. coots, a group of 7 n. flickers, e. bluebirds, and golden-crowned kinglet.  On the way home I stopped at King's L. in Coitsville Twp. (Mahoning Co.), it held  5 wood ducks.  It was a good day for puddle ducks!  Later, Craig