OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2021

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2021 17:16:22 -0500
Despite the sun, it was still somewhat chilly but good to be out. Clear Creek was very quiet but I was treated to close views of a semi-cooperative Winter Wren (hemlock trail) which perched up briefly for good looks, then promptly vanished never to be seen again. I hardly heard or saw any other birds there except crows and titmice. Woodpeckers were nowhere to be heard. One Red-tailed Hawk.

I did better at Logan lake. At a private residence on the way that has a large pond, there were at least a dozen beautiful redhead ducks, their red heads lit up by the sun.

At the turnoff to the B&B, there were a couple great blue herons, a few grackles, cardinals, blue jays and song sparrows.

As I made my way around the lake, I had a good variety of ducks: hooded and common mergansers, common goldeneye, lesser scaup, canvasback, Ruddies, Bufflehead, Ring-necked, northern shoveler, more Redheads plus the female Long-tailed Duck down by the marina. She wasn’t close but I had good scope views. Also had a couple Pied-billed Grebes. Canada Geese and one Mute Swan.

Heard a Red-shouldered Hawk from the marina.

Putting on a show were 4 bald eagles across from the beach. There was one adult and three immatures in varying plumages. The adult and one of the immatures were actively fishing. A couple bluebirds & chickadees. TVs. Only gull was Ring-billed.

Peggy Wang
Granville

Sent from my iPhone