OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2022

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2022 12:17:52 -0400
Many thanks to all the people who replied privately to me with all sorts of interesting information on bluebirds and bluebird boxes as well as some great websites. As I mentioned, I covered the 4 x 4 post with galvanized steel ductwork which hopefully will keep a raccoon from climbing it & reaching the birdhouse.

The bluebird pair was already back this morning checking things out with the male going in and out a few times but I have not seen either of them carrying nesting material so I don’t know if they will try to use the birdhouse again. I’ve not seen the house wrens or house sparrows show any interest so far.

Denison was expectedly quiet this morning but I heard a Prairie warbler singing close but once again, it won the hide and seek game. The groundskeeper confirmed the Prairies nested last year (and 2 pairs this year). As far as he can recall, these are the first time Prairies have nested at the reserve since the 90’s.

White-eyed Vireos were vocalizing again after being quiet for awhile. KY Warblers on the other hand are v quiet—I might have heard a chip note briefly today. I did not hear a Hooded either. No chats.

The Wood Duck hen story got more interesting today: I saw the hen with the 2 ducklings again but another hen was nearby. I’ve seen both in close proximity each other before on occasion but today I was surprised to see the other hen had five ducklings with her. I don’t know whether this is unusual for them to be hanging out together but it was kind of cool— they did not try to keep that far away from each other & the pond is relatively small.

Warblers
Prairie (h)
N Parula (h)
Yellow