OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2020

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Oct 2020 14:45:54 -0400
Several birders including myself got great looks at the Nelson’s this morning. It seems to like feeding in the white asters but would perch low in the single poplar tree for a few seconds. Some photographers did well but my shots weren’t as good as my binocular views. Bird skulks and tends to stay low plus it doesn’t perch long. It would also disappear for 1/2-1hr then magically reappear in the same area. Beautiful bird.

I believe there are 2 birds there—one with v bright plumage—its orange and gray head is striking. But I think there’s a duller bird there as well. Seems like too much color difference to chalk it up to dappled or shaded light conditions. I don’t think anyone I talked to ever saw 2 birds at once but many felt as I did.

If you are in need of Palm Warbler this fall, I can recommend this spot. There were easily a dozen or so there. I also saw savanna sparrow, Lincoln’s and I believe a juvenile grasshopper sparrow in addition to Song. I overheard someone mention a swamp sparrow but I did not see one. The only other warbler was a common yellowthroat. A northern harrier made one pass over the general area.

The sparrow spot is about a quarter mile E of the bike trail parking lot on kuhlwein rd near a short gravel rd that goes to the drying soybean fields on the S side. You’ll see a well-trampled area just W of that gravel rd.

Peggy Wang
Sent from my iPad