OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Terry Bronson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terry Bronson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2018 15:34:57 -0400
The Mountwood Bird Club, led by Dick Esker, visited these 2 areas in Vinton
County today. Participants included Lucine Wright, Barb Hohman, Jason
White, and Terry Bronson.

We visited thw Lake Hope Iron Furnace, School House Road, Shea Road, Mace
Road, Atkinson Ridge Road, Baptist Church Road, and the Lake Hope Nature
Center.

Birds encountered included:

Canada Goose--dozens along the Hocking River at Athens
Wood Duck
Mallard
Double-crested Cormorant--flying over the Hocking River at Athens
Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird--several locations including 6 at the Lake Hope
Nature Center
Red-headed Woodpecker--3 locations including 4 at the Lake Hope Nature
Center
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Eastern Phoebe
White-eyed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
Philadelphia Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
American Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Winter Wren--heard calling only along Mace Road. A real surprise.
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Brown Thrasher