OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Steve J." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve J.
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2010 14:11:06 -0500
Well, I always knew that they had to be near me.

 A few years ago I noticed a pair of Eagles just outside of LaRue along
the river's edge.  I am too far from the wetlands for an Eagle to come
hunting unless it is truly desperate. :-)

While "hunting" for turkeys North of Hepburn yesterday; of which I found
over 30 (I was told that there are 42 in the flock, but I only counted 30):
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s226/sjlarue/Birds/turkey.jpg

...I met the farmer/bird watcher/hunter that owns the land that had the
turkeys that I was watching.  His name was Mr. Oates.  He told me that
"before everything went digital..." (that tells you how young he is ;-))
that he used to watch an Eagle nest that was down the road a little from
where I was.  (If anyone knows Mr Oates, you probably know the field
where I was..)

He also said that he wishes that there was still a non digital way to
report and check bird sightings... I think he wants a telephone number,
so if there is any non digital ways to report rare birds, please let me
know.   He also had a lot to say about the crowds at Magee Marsh, during
the IMBD weekend. (He is in my camp, we don't like em':-D)  And told me
that one year that he had found a Kirtland's Warbler over at Greenlawn
that started a frenzy of birders heading to the area...:-)

Anyhew, he pointed me toward an Eagles nest that was close to where I
was in Hepburn in Hardin County.  TW Rd 245 Just off the road on a
private, well posted, lot.  It is a massive nest that has a pair of
Eagles using it. It can be seen on 245 and kind of from TW 150. (and on
Google maps..it's that big) It is 3 miles from my house, so this is
probably the pair that I have seen the past few years.

If anyone knows anything about this nest please shoot me an email.

Also yesterday, while near Zanesfield I came up on a male Pheasant that
nearly became road pizza for my Prizim. :-D:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s226/sjlarue/Birds/PhesantMale.jpg

A great day all around.

Later

Steve Jones