OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2017 15:26:13 -0500
I saw a snowy owl at the Scheeff East Point Preserve on December 11, 12 and others saw it yesterday on December 13. There have been a number of sightings on South Bass, Middle Bass, North Bass, and Kelleys Island over the last two weeks. Should be an interesting winter.

There were also 51 tundra swans just offshore at the Scheeff East Point Preserve yesterday now that the mainland marshes are frozen. Large numbers of scaup, bufflehead, red-breasted mergansers, and growing numbers of common goldeneye are offshore. A few redheads were seen today.

In the harbor at Put-in-Bay, there have also been ring-neck ducks, a few canvasback, hooded and common mergansers in addition to the above.

Herring, ring-billed gulls are found at both locations. Two days ago we had a few Bonaparte gulls and saw a greater-black-backed gull today at Scheeff.

Lisa Brohl