OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2017 19:39:57 -0500
Thinking that the fresh snow would drive birds to feeders, I checked two of
the largest feeder set-ups locally - the ones at the Nature Centers at
Highbanks MetroPark and Blendon Woods MetroPark.  There were plenty of
feeder birds at both, but there was nothing unusual, unless you like
spectacular congregations of Cardinals.  I also hiked at both spots - the
Dripping Rock Trail at Highbanks and the Lake Trail at Blendon.  Notables
included:

waterfowl - Thoreau Lake at Blendon was mostly ice, but the remaining open
water had the usual herd of geese, Black Ducks, & Mallards, along with 2
Ring-necks, 1 Pintail, and 1 N.Shoveler

raptors - None at both parks

woodpeckers - plenty at both parks, with a Pileated at Highbanks the most
unusual

Brown Creeper - 1 was foraging along the Dripping Rock Trail at Highbanks

Carolina Wrens - surprisingly active in the snowy landscape.  Highbanks had
7 along the Dripping Rock Trail, while Blendon had 3 on the Lake Trail.

Hermit Thrush - 1 was calling from a berrybush along the Dripping Rock Trail

Sparrows - lots of Juncos & White-throats at both feeder sets.  Highbanks
also had 2 Tree Sparrows, while Blendon had 6+ Song Sparrows

Finches - little except for a few Goldfinches and House Finches at both
feeder sets.