OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2023

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2023 14:53:47 -0400
I started at Salamander run metro park. One of my favorite spots in Butler
County. Fields, a pond, wet fields, woods, successional areas. Usually a muddy
Mess - not today - oh boy do we need rain! Highlights here were 1 bay breasted,
1 gray cheeked thrush, and Magnolia. These were all new for the big year. And
For Butler life! Other highlights - 9 flickers, RH Woodpecker, 4 white eyed vireos
Singing. 4 yellow throated vireos - singing. And one red eyed. Singing! I am
Starting to believe Vireos sing well into the fall! 4 Swainsons thrush. 1 wood
Thrush - singing! 2 Tennessee. One Nashville. One palm.

Birds were scattered. No flock. Just scattered throughout. Surprisingly very
Few odes - it is getting late in the season, I was going to spray, and go back
To that pond area and search. Decided it wouldn’t be productive as not
Seeing anything flying. Hit Green heron metro park as I drove home. Had
Odes and butterflies here - always a great spot for insects. And more birds!
Nothing new for my big year - but here’s some highlights - 2 Ovenbirds. 4
Cedar waxwings, 1 Blackpoll.

I am thinking the sunny edges played a role in a good morning birding. Some
New birds in last night - others probably from a couple days ago. Lingering.

Nature notes - it’s meadowhawk time! And loads of Spring peepers calling
Again! Both spots.

Up to 193 for the big year.

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller