OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2017 20:55:07 -0400
The last wave of landbird migrants was in evidence this morning at several
sites around this suburb west of Columbus.  I stopped at the Clover
Wetlands and Spindler Park along Hellbranch Run in Hilliard, and followed
with visits to Darby Bend Lakes and Sycamoer Plains at prairie Oaks
MetroPark along Big Darby Creek.  Waterbirds were few, but landbirds made
for an interesting morning.  Notables included:

Waterfowl - the only unusual ducks were a pair of Gadwall at the Clover
Cemetery Wetlands
Grebes - Darby Bend lakes had 3 Pied-billed Grebes, but that was nearly all
the waterbirds there.
Brown Creepers - slow migration so far, so a few birds at Prairie Oaks were
notable
WinterWren - a single bird was at Sycamore Plains Trail
Kinglets - Golden-crowns at many spots; 1 Ruby-crown was still at Darby
Bend Lakes
AmericanPipit - 1 was at Darby Bend lakes
Com.Yellowthroat - a juvenile was still hanging out in the marsh at Clover
Cemetery wetlands
Tree Sparrow - my FOS was lurking in the new stream wetland at Spindler Park
Fox Sparrow - 1 was singing in a field edge along the Sycamore Plains Trail
at Prairie Oaks
Juncos - small flocks were at many locations as these birds starting to
arrive in bulk
Purple Finch - 1 was calling along the Sycamore Plains Trail at Prairie Oaks