OHIO-BIRDS Archives

May 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Stefan Gleissberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stefan Gleissberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2017 18:19:25 -0400
A group of ‘Birds in the Hills’ festival goers visited Lake Snowden in Athens County this morning. In the about two hours, we managed to see around 48 species:

On the lake trail to the dam and fishery area, we observed an adult Bald Eagle chasing off an Osprey and then briefly reaching into the water with its talons before flying and perching across the lake. A Semipalmated Plover was poking in the mud in one of the drained fishery ponds. There were about 8 Least Sandpipers as well. One Lesser Yellowlegs was in another pond, and several bobbing Spotted Sandpipers could be seen as well.

A Sharp-shinned Hawk stirred up the mixed flock of swallows (Barn, Cliff, Tree, N Rough-winged, and Bank) and Chimney Swifts foraging over the ponds. The hawk then tried its luck flying low over the lake, and one of our participants observed a Spotted Sandpiper diving for safety and shortly after re-emerging when the surprise raptor had passed.

I had arrived early and ventured out towards the boat ramp and swimming beach for an hour, finding some additional birds, notably, Palm Warbler, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Green Heron, Wood Duck, Yellow-throated Vireo, and Warbling Vireo:

I also stayed after the group had left, adding Pied-billed Grebe, Red-tailed Hawk, Black-billed Cuckoo, Eastern Kingbird, White-eyed Vireo (heard only), and House Wren to the day list:

In the end, I could identify 65 bird species at Lake Snowden today!

Stefan
==

Dr. Stefan Gleissberg
Athens Area Birders