OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2021

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2021 20:38:05 -0400
Wanting to be out in the spring weather, I went to funk bottoms again. As I was getting into my car in Granville, I heard my FOS E Phoebe calling from across the street.

In the category of you never know what you’ll find unless you just get out and bird, I saw a dark hawk soaring with an adult Red-tailed that looked “different”. It was a dark morph Rough-legged! Gorgeous bird. Is this late for Rough-leggeds in Ohio? I haven’t seen a dark more for quite awhile.

Got my FOS Wood Ducks, at least 5 drakes and one hen. FOS Wilson’s Snipes—spooked 2 near the observation tower.

Ducks: besides the Wood Ducks, mostly N Pintails (~100), a few Gadwall, Am Wigeon, mallard, Green-winged teal.

13 Sandhill Cranes, a couple doing a little dancing.

Several Swans which I think were Trumpeters. Not the best scope views b/c of heat waves but I didn’t see any yellow on the bills and bills seemed longer in general.

No other shorebirds except numerous killdeer—had a dozen in one wet field.

Two kingfishers mixing it up was cool. The din of RW Blackbirds, grackles and frogs was impressive.

One male kestrel. TVs.

Peggy Wang
Granville
Sent from my iPhone