OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2023

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2023 13:01:43 -0400
There wasn’t a big fallout with the passing of the cold front but there was a nice variety of warblers at Denison. The one good flock I had was feeding at a more leisurely pace than usual so I was able to sort thru most of them. A real treat was a Magnolia Warbler singing frequently as well as a singing Swainson’s Thrush. I also saw my FOS Gray-cheeked Thrush.

Another highlight was a large group of DC Cormorants, 35-40, flying in a loose “V” formation fairly high. They seemed to melt away as they flew into a low cloud. I’ve seen DC Cormorant at least once at Denison but I think only a single bird. A Sharp-shinned Hawk flew over one of the fields.

After Denison quieted down, I headed to Morris Woods & added 2 warbler species, a lovely male Black-throated Blue & an Ovenbird that perched up near eye level, chipping at me. I also glimpsed a Barred Owl as it flew across the pond but I was not able to relocate it.

Denison
Warblers
B&W—2 chasing each other
TN