OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2017 12:49:08 -0500
I was just scanning the assortment of birds on and under my feeder
(12:30PM) when I saw what I at first thought was a Carolina wren, then
maybe winter wren (but a little larger) working the edge of the sidewalk
just outside the kitchen window, gleaning who knows what from the exposed
earth in the grass there.

The bird was pumping its tail, and didn't quite act or look like a Carolina
wren. When it turned away I saw yellow tail coverts. It has a slightly
rufous crown, dark eye-stripe and lighter supercilium, lightly streaked
breast, but rather dull overall.

Of course the battery on my little-used SLR camera is too low (charging
now, in case I get another opportunity with this little anomaly) and my
cell phone camera could not zoom enough with enough clarity on any of the 9
shots I took for possible ID purposes.

But my mental toolkit (not un-extensive) tells me palm warbler. Is this
even possible?

I'm certainly not used to seeing them on December 29.

Comments are welcome. I have a pretty thick skin.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County