OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2023

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2023 19:39:39 -0500
I was enjoying the day! Exploring, chasing, loved it! I didn’t know what to label
Today. I started trying for field birds. Like Cackling goose. I get to Joyce Park
And nothing….. where do these geese go?? I went searching. Lots of areas
Around there. And a wooded trail along the great Miami River. I love it! Can't
Wait til spring! But I didn't find the geese….. turns out there’s a pond that is
Hard to see unless one is right next to the buildings. Bird and learn. 3 Cackling.
And one Snow! These are good Butler birds and Jan. 100 birds. I had moved on.
A fellow birder messaged me re the geese!

Harbin Park - Butler also - I looked for an area with pines and successional
Spots. I never find much in straight deciduous woods in the winter.
Finally, RB Nuthatch! Close enough for me to hear. And Juncos. I think that was new
For the county big year. Losing track. I had no success with owls though.

Heritage Park - Hamilton county. There’s a nice successional area along the
Great Miami there. But I couldn't find the flock I was after - with Brown Creeper
and Golden crowned Kinglet. Two needed Jan. 100 birds. Oh well.

Fernald - Hamilton - the Shortie show was great! They were out well before
Dusk! Mainly at the mound area - I think I got that name right. I would think
Both the weapons pond platform and the overlook platform are good spots.
If the owls continue there. The blind probably had ok views too. One of the
Shorties attacked a Harrier!

Jan. 100 notes - I am at 71. Still missing lots of common birds. I might actually
Chase if stuff around somewhat locally. Not Lake Erie. Maybe 2025 for Lake Erie.
I have too much travel planned. Yet another LBBG at Caesar creek - from another
Birder.

Right now, I think Furfield Dog park and some Great Miami River spots will
Be the best for gulls in Butler. I haven't been too far north yet though.

Butler big year - 51 I think species currently. But some needed winter birds - like
Those geese!

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini