OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2013

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ryan McEwan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan McEwan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2013 11:03:04 -0400
The population numbers of EAB will likely crash, but the question is
whether they will go low enough for an ash "rebirth" or will they persist
enough to suppress ash well into the future.  There are many examples of
exotic pests and pathogens, and usually the story does not have a happy
ending for the "host:"  American chestnut (chestnut blight), flowering
dogwood (anthracnose), American elm (Dutch Elm disease), butternut
(canker), etc..

I am working with someone at the 5-rivers metroparks here in Dayton- they
are doing massive
underplantings<http://www.metroparks.org/Reforestation/Home.aspx>in
ash stands with a wide diversity of tree species in the hopes of
planting a more diverse forest for the next generation.  Forest diversity
is the best bulwark against these invasive pests and pathogens...because
*mostly* they key to a specific host (like EAB- which cannot feed on
anything other than the genus Fraxinus = ash).  The really scary ones are
those with a broader host range- like gypsy
moth<http://www.fs.fed.us/ne/morgantown/4557/gmoth/>or Asian
longhorn beetle <http://www.agri.ohio.gov/topnews/asianbeetle/> (both are
in Ohio).  *Constant vigilance*!!

Ryan W. McEwan, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Biology
The University of Dayton
300 College Park, Dayton, OH  45469-2320

Office phone: 1.937.229.2558
Lab phone:    1.937.229.2567

Office Location:  SC 223D

Email:  [log in to unmask]