OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Casey Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Casey Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2018 20:05:12 +0000
Dear Friends & Colleagues;

I hope everyone had a good, productive summer and, for those of you returning to school or have family returning to school, that your school year is off to a positive start.

With the beginning of the fall school semester comes the annual reminder that the Ohio Avian Research Conference will be held this year on Saturday, October 20th at Denison University in Granville, Ohio.

Early registration for the conference is now open through Sunday, October 14th.. After the 14th prices will increase. You can register by visiting the conference website, clicking on the orange ‘Register Here’ button, and then clicking on the green ‘Tickets’ button. There are student and non-student prices.

http://tuckercasey.wixsite.com/aacri-birds/oarc2018

Our keynote presenter this year is Dr. Robert Mauck, Associate Professor of Biology at Kenyon College where his research has ranged from the physiology and behavior of a variety of bird species with an emphasis on Leach’s Storm-Petrels.

There are a few changes to the conference this year:

•All talks, except the keynote, will be limited to 15 minutes total including questions.

•There will be a visual time keeping system that will have a green light, a yellow light at the 5-minute mark, and a red light when time is up.

•Additionally, there will be a conference moderator who will help keep things on track.

•The keynote presentation has been moved up in the schedule to before lunc, to allow attendees to talk with the keynote speaker during the extended lunch break.

•There will be several student volunteers available to assist presenters with hanging posters and pre-loading presentations on the computer. They will also be assisting attendees with directions and time reminders.

Given its success last year, there will once again be a reception immediately after the conference in the tavern at the historic Buxton Inn in downtown Granville. This is a great opportunity for everyone to meet-and-greet conference presenters, talk about birds, enjoy some refreshments and free appetizers.

 As always I look forward to seeing all of you at this year’s conference on Saturday, October 20th at Samson-Talbot Hall at Denison University. I also want to thank the generous support of Columbus Audubon’s Wilson Education Fund and the Wakeman Foundation.

Sincerely,

Casey Tucker