OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2017

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2017 14:09:21 -0500
We decided to check for the GLGU loafing on the beach yesterday (we
only seen a few in Franklin).  There is so much turn over day to day
that we weren't optimistic; often times we have found late afternoon
(> 5P) often more productive gull wise as many stop over here before
leaving, heading NE.  They seen to travel long distances each day.

1P, partly cloudy, 48.  Parking in the visitor center, we headed
toward the beach where we noted on a stretch to the N exactly 30
gulls.   We continued to track the movements along the beach as well
as focusing attention on the calm reservoir.   Just offshore, a large
raft of bay ducks was drifting.  Common Loons, Horned Grebes, and
small groups of puddle ducks were scattered about.

Our findings:

Common Loon  28
Pied-billed Grebe 13
Horned Grebe  36
Great Blue Heron  (1 high, flying south east)

Gadwall  4 (m)
American Black Duck  2
Mallard  7 (4 m, 3 f)
Redhead  24 (15 m, 9 f)
Ring-necked Duck  12 (10 m, 2 f)
Greater Scaup  5 (m, f?)
Lesser Scaup  33 (16 m, 20+ f)
Bufflehead  2 (m)

Sharp-shinned Hawk  2
Red-tailed Hawk  2  (ad., imm.)

Bonaparte's Gull  220  (all ad., most were over the water, far out)
Ring-billed Gull 20 (ad.)
Herring Gull  10 (2 3rd winter, ad.)

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 2
Blue Jay  6
Common Crow 3
Eastern Bluebird 60 (overhead, invisible;  constant calls)
American Robin 21

Good birding (crossbills should never be far from thoughts;  I once
stopped to fill up gas and during the wait saw 4 male White-winged
Crossbills in the top of a mature spruce in the intersection!  Both
crossbills also feed quietly on the ground, underneath the evergreens;
however, they are very vocal in flight)
--
David & Patty Tan
Columbus