OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2011

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2011 21:38:39 -0400
Greetings-
Readers may be interested in reading this short bit from Jerry McWilliams post on PAbirds.
This fall, there has been a significant and memorable movement of Monarchs across the Cleveland region and greater Lake Erie coast.
Some days in September saw hundreds to thousands gathering at Edgewater State Park, Dike 14, Kirtland Park and Wendy Park/Whisky Island marina.
A recent large movement of Monarchs across Lake Erie was met with this major cold front we are experiencing. Unfortunately this bodes horribly with the already-depressing numbers, this year, of weakened Monarchs that are being surveyed upon their arrival on Mexican wintering grounds.
The current outlook for this year's wintering population of habitat-pigeonholed Monarchs is poor as far as population, with an all-time low count this year.
Jerry relays an observation that really strikes home how magnificent and easily-taken-for-granted the flight of the Monarch is, let alone that of a single Cape May or single Blackburnian Warbler.
With each Golden-crowned Kinglet or Wilson's Warbler that we see, it is so important to remember that the life and migratory journey of that being is truly: against ALL odds.

"Unfortunately, it appears the cold front passed during the heaviest movement of
Monarchs of the fall season. Evidence of this was the high mortality. Hundreds
and perhaps thousands were washed ashore all along the beaches of Presque Isle
S.P. Many were still alive, but wings were battered severely.
Jerry McWilliams
Erie, Erie County, Pa.
jerrymcw AT aol.com "

JB