OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2015

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2015 02:17:18 -0500
I spent an hour and a half visiting 3 urban ravines in Columbus looking for unusual wintering birds holed up during the freeze.  I stopped at Glen Echo. Walhalla, and Overbrook ravines, all of which had running streams, cover, bordering houses with feeders, and were out of the wind, so it wasn't surprising that all had quite a few birds.  Most were the expected resident woodpeckers & flock birds, but the roll also included:
Sapsuckers - Overbrook had 1, Glen Echo had 2.  They often overwinter in these ravines
Red-tailed Hawks - each had at least 1; Glen Echo had 2 chasing each other.  They were likely hunting birds or squirrels.
Kingfishers - as the rivers freeze, these tiny streams become oases, and Glen Echo & Overbrook had singles
Blue Jays - common this winter in Columbus, each ravine had 2-4
Sparrows - flocks of White-throated & Juncos were in all 3 ravines.  I expected them more at the feeders, but running water may be just as crucial for them during the freeze.