OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2024

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 15:20:20 -0500
The big freeze is starting to make the waterfowl move.
Lake Barber in Hamilton county is still open. And a nice
Diversity of ducks this morning. Both Scaup was nice.
Greater is new. Redhead shovelers gadwall, etc. And
While catching up - talking - with a fellow birder, a Ruby crowned
Kinglet drops onto the grass in front of us! You never know.
And me without my camera……

I was so blasted cold after scanning Lake barber, that I needed
To go home just to warm up! The Newtown gravel pits I will scan
Wed.

The Great Miami River in butler county is getting the waterfowl.
And the birds will move up and down the river. And a Peregrine!
Not even uncommon up there around Hamilton anymore. They
Breed in the area. But again, I get so cold after just even a few
Minutes in that wind mainly…… I am sure I missed stuff. I was
Searching for the reported goldeneye and Common Merg. They
Are around somewhere up there!

I did catch up with a huge waterfowl flock at the St. Clair fire
Department lake. Picked up Goldeneye there! And a snow goose!
There’s also Greater White fronted Geese there. None of this is
Rare in SW Ohio. At least my 8 counties. I hated to leave,
But again was getting very cold…..

I wonder if the waterfowl roost here. And head to fields and the river
To feed?

Debating what to do Wed. Wind chill warnings again….. sigh

Up to 86 for my SW Ohio Jan. 100.

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini