OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2022

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2022 15:26:17 -0400
Interesting morning at the reserve. One of the first birds I saw was the RCK—nice to see.

Ran into a couple flocks but the largest one insisted on staying high in the trees with the sun/white sky behind them...most unkind of them. Missed a lot of IDs with the bad light but still saw some nice birds. Had a warbler I was pretty sure was an Orange-crowned—I was about to dismiss it as another TN when I realized it looked different & then it flew of course so just a maybe.

Seemed to be a small fallout of Wood Thrushes—I ran into a few and could hear more doing soft alarm calls—maybe a contact call? Saw my only Swainson’s Thrush near that group.

Watched a YB Cuckoo catch a few tent caterpillars and devour them which was cool. Also ran into a couple of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, female non-breeding plumage, silent.

Warblers
Ovenbird
Canada
Magnolia
B&W
Blackpoll
Bay-breasted
Tennessee
Redstart
BT Green
Blackburnian
Com YT

WE Vireo
Ruby-crowned Kinglet FOS
Indigo Bunting—female
Olive-sided FC
Peewee
Empid sp
RB Grosbeak
Wood Thrush
Swainson’s Thrush
YB Cuckoo
Cedar Waxwing
Pileated WP—flew gracefully thru thick forest only about 10 feet off the ground
Hairy WP
Downy WP
Red-bellied WP
Catbird