OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Nov 2018 13:49:10 -0500
Stopped around O'Shaughnessy reservoir (Home Rd, Twin Lakes, dam) yesterday
and part of the Gorge (Kiwanis) today, under cold & windy conditions.  Not
surprisingly, landbirds were hiding, but waterbirds were around in fair
#s.  Notables included:

Lesser Scaup - 12+ birds were in a flock above the dam
Ruddy Ducks - 3 were above the dam
Herons - Great Blues were all along the river in the gorge, with 2-3 at
each stop (dam, Amberleigh, Kiwanis)
Turkey Vultures - the roost at the dam is withering - I could only find 2
birds yesterday
Bonaparte's Gulls - over 100 were split between the dam and Twin Lakes
Brown Creeper - at least 2 were in the riparian woods at Amberleigh Park
along the Gorge
WinterWren - 1 was calling along the boardwalk at Kiwanis today

Nota bene:  the park at the dam is closed while work is done to refurbish
the dam.  This means you have to park outside the gate and walk along the
sidewalk to see the dam area, and definitely precludes walking the gorge
rim trail for a while.