OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2023

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2023 13:19:38 -0400
At Denison this nice cool morning, I had the largest flight I’ve had so far. There were good numbers of birds and some flocks would hang around for a while so I could get on some of them. It was one of those mornings though, that when I was concentrating on the flock in front of me, I kept seeing other flocks moving past me and thru the next layer behind—always exciting but also frustrating knowing that I’m missing birds!

Highlights were a gorgeous Yellow-throated Warbler catching the sun, another fall Chestnut-sided and what I supposed was a family group of 3 Pileated WPs calling and flying over the trail fairly low. A few Yellow-billed cuckoos were mixed in with the flocks as well as lots of catbirds & towhees. I keep hoping for a black-billed cuckoo but it looks like I’m going to miss it this year.

Everything quieted down around 9-9:30 so I decided to check out Lobdell. Thought it was going to be a bust except for one redstart when I spotted first one, and then two Canada Warblers with some more redstarts. One of the Canadas was missing its tail but seem to be feeding just fine. Also saw kestrel on the wires on the drive over.

Warblers
Am Redstart
Canada—lobdell only
Bay-breasted
Magnolia
Chestnut-sided
Tennessee
Blackpoll
Yellow-throated
Nashville
Blackburnian—saw at least one male w/bright orange throat
Com YT

RE & WE Vireos incl good looks at adult WE
YB Cuckoo
Brown Thrasher
Peewee
Acadian