OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2023

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Tracy the Birder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy the Birder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jan 2023 10:41:51 -0500
The subject of ticks came up recently, and how it is possible to pick up one of these unwanted visitors in the winter as well as in warmer times of the year.

I used to pick up the occasional tick (sometimes more than occasional!  Certain areas have more than others), but all that stopped once I started using an insect repellant that contains  the ingredient Permethrin.  I spray it on my hiking boots and on my jeans below the knees (I always have the pants cuffs of my jeans tucked into my socks as well).  The spray claims to last six weeks, and keeps its effectiveness after washing.  Warning- never spray this on your skin or on clothes while you are wearing them.  Always read the label!  After applying it, it dries and works as a repellant.

Since I started using this repellant a couple of years ago, I have not had a single tick hitch a ride on me.

Hope this helps-

Tracy the Birder
https://seasonsflow.wordpress.com/
http://ebird.org/ebird/profile/MzIzNzgx/US-OH