OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2023

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2023 19:03:01 -0500
I was hoping for a couple more waterfowl species today. Nope. In fact very slow
At the spots I hit. Not sure why! A bright spot was the IKEA pond - 81 Hooded
Mergs. I like numbers! Bald Eagle adults were around at spots today. Setting up
Their territories and nests.

Gilmore metro park is finally now fully open with that construction done on the
New bike path. So I hit here. Maybe a Rusty Blackbird. Nope. They will probably
Return 2/1…… I don't know Gilmore that well, but the habitat has changed a bit
With that construction. Oh well….. maybe native grasses and shrubs and nectar
Plants will be planted this spring. Right now it’s a muddy quagmire. I didn’t go
Off the bike path! The middle part had lots of water. I am hoping the hydrology
Is still ok and the place remains a viable wetland. It looks like it will. But I have
Heard others say no. I don't know the place well! Time will tell.

Three new butler big year birds - Turkey Vulture - scattered ones flying today,
Swamp Sparrow - Gilmore, and Bald Eagle. Up to 60! Have some good ones
That can be iffy - Black crowned night heron, Merlin, snow and Cackling geese.
Greater white fronted goose. Most thanks to Matt B.

Good birding all. It was just rain down here. But the temps are plummeting.
Joy…. I have a spot to hit close to my house. For lots of my missing passerines.
Probably Sat. I never have much time to bird much on work days - Thursday
And Friday. This is exploring is fun!

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini