OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2024

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 2024 22:28:11 -0500
The weather was so dreary & after my longish drive yesterday for the N Shrike & W Grebe, I decided to stay close to home today. I started at Denison where it was just the expected winter birds & not many. 4 WPs: Downy, Hairy, Red-bellied & flicker.

then I decided to see if anything was at Dawes Arboretum Dutch Fork Wetlands only to find the gate to the parking lot locked—a first; no sign explaining why. I saw a few birds from the nearby roads, the best was a N Mockingbird. 2 Red-tailed Hawks flew over and a kestrel was near the turnoff on White Chapel Rd.

I wasn’t far from the Taft Reserve so I headed there. I was surprised to see a flock of 8-10 White-crowned Sparrows in one bush—think that’s the largest flock I’ve ever seen in Ohio. Mostly adults but a few juvs. A couple juncos were mixed in but not one White-throated. They flew on and I only found a single adult bird later. A couple more mockingbirds were there also.

Peggy Wang
Granville
Sent from my iPad