OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2018 15:03:31 -0500
I hiked around this very frozen Park in south Columbus this morning.
Fortunately, the many riparian corridors here usually provided
wind-sheltered sun sides, and that's where the birds were hiding.  I
stopped at Elk Run Park, Heron Pond, the Confluence area, Cruiser Pond, and
the Blacklick Greenway bikepath, and had a steady trickle of birds at
virtually all of the sites.  Picking through the large #s of Cardinals,
House Finches, Juncos, and White-throated Sparrows found a few goodies,
including:

Ruby-cr.Kinglet - 1 foraging around Turtle Pond at the Confluence area
Golden-cr.Kinglets - birds at Elk Run and the Blacklick Bikepath
Tree Sparrows - 1-2 at each site; most conspicuous at the Confluence feeders
Rusty Blackbird - 1 adult lurking around the feeder at Heron Pond