OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2018 07:45:37 -0500
I still think Bill made an error in judgement. He and I disagree about that. So be it…

But we are going through a moment in history in which the political powers of our country include people who are genuine racists, who are unrepentant sexists, who promote policies that strike at the poor, the workers, the most vulnerable in our society, and (not a minor point) at the efforts at environmental conservation that many of us have worked to support. They seem ready to drag us into more and increasingly frightening wars. In such a moment, we really need to have a sense of proportion.

I still think Bill was mistaken. I don’t think the people who were offended by what bill posted or his way of posting it are too sensitive. The issues they raise are real, and get to central problems in our society. But these are problems that Bill himself has been concerned to address in his life, and even in the original post.

In the end, in a case like this, a disagreement is a disagreement. The reaction of the OOS board seems out of proportion to me. I think they could have stated their disagreement with Bill in this medium. They could have asked for discussions about what the appropriate way(s) to handle the sort of documents that started all this would be. But the decision to punish Bill seems condescending and excessive. I hope it can be reconsidered.