OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2018 00:17:47 +0000
 The last couple weeks there have been multiple thousands of ducks at East Harbor State Park in Ottawa County.  Many are in "East Harbor" south of the causeway and I could not count them as some are out of view and some are too far away to the south closer to the opposite shore.  This afternoon instead of just looking from the causeway I parked in the parking lot with a picnic shelter (Harborview) on the right side just before you drive over the causeway.  I walked to the far east end of the camping area near a yurt.  I could see some ducks between me and the opposite shore to the east (where the marsh/beach peninsula is).  I counted about 75 Ring-necked Ducks all together and then realized there was a male Eurasian Wigeon mixed in with the ducks.  It was swimming with various different ducks while I was there (sometimes with American Wigeons). The ducks I did see here were Canvasbacks, Reheads, Scaup, Am. Coot, Hooded Mergansers, Red-breasted & Common Mergansers, Blue-winged Teal, Gadwall, American Wigeons.  I was able to see this duck without a scope.
It was easier to see the ducks in West Harbor viewed from the end of Rte 269 near the boat launch marina area.  There I found at least 850 Canvasbacks (low numbers as the island blocked my view) and lesser number of Scaup (500).  I saw two Northern Pintails in the water.  Then I noticed seven were circling for awhile and briefly landed near the opposite shore.  But there were mutiple shooting sounds coming from that area and it spooked them and they took off.
Nancy Anderson, Danbury Twp, Lakeside Marblehead area,https://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/