OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peggy Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2018 19:41:03 -0400
I had to go to Zanesville today & picked up my FOY Great Egrets in a flooded area not far from the turn off from I77 onto Rt 36. Later, I stopped by Dillon Lk to see if anything was around. A brisk wind was howling across the lake but I saw at least 6 Horned Grebes incl one in its elegant breeding plumage. Others were in that weird transitional plumage. A few DC Cormorants & a distant flyby of 3 mergansers, I think Common. No loons.

I returned to Hudson the long way via Funk Bottoms. The last time I was there, Wilderness Rd was flooded after the bridge but while the water on both sides is still high, wilderness rd is open. Good numbers & variety of waterfowl. I saw more Blue-winged Teal than I’ve ever seen at once, prob around 60-70 in groups of 15-20—such lovely ducks.

Also a few Ruddies in breeding plumage, love those blue bills. Others: GW Teal, Gadwall, N Pintail, Mallard, Black Ducks, N Shoveler, Wood Duck, Buffleheads, Redhead, & very groups of Ring-necked. Also had Pied-billed Grebes, Coots, Canada Geese & more DC Cormorants as well as Great Blue Herons .

At the observation tower off 95, I added a pair of lovely Trumpeter Swans snoozing, their heads & upper necks stained reddish brown. Only other sightings were large numbers of coots & 3 Great Blues, incl one that flew off w/a large stick for its nest.

Peggy Wang
Hudson
Sent from my iPad