OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2023

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2023 14:38:36 -0400
With the more pleasant temps/humidity, I did some birding altho things are pretty quiet overall but nice to be out.

Tues Denison: not much around but an adult KY Warbler set some kind of altitude record as it sang from a branch over 15’ up! After it sang for a while, it flew down and start flitting thru the understory acting more like a typical Kentucky. It was a nice show to watch and was not long after I left a couple birders from Columbus who had hoped to see a Kentucky. Only other warbler was Com YT. WE Vireos singing, as well as Red-eyed. A Green Heron was vocal. Wood Ducks. Scarlet Tanager. Fewer Catbirds. Acadian FC, peewee.

Tues Land Lab: even quieter. No bobolinks, meadowlarks or even Willow FCs. Lots of Barn Swallows. 2 ad & 1 juv Red-headed WPs. Indigo Bunting, Wood Ducks.

Wed Blendon Woods: a quick walk to Thoreau Pond.
Great Egret, Great Blue Heron, Wood Ducks, Wild Turkey, Belted KF, E Phoebe. The water lilies are thick with many blooms.

Wed Battelle Darby wetlands: 2 imm Little Blue Herons, Trumpeter Swans, Pied-billed Grebe, Wood Duck, Tree & Barn Swallows, Marsh Wren. I heard distant Sedge Wrens a couple times and another birder had seen a pair earlier but I never spotted one. Imm Red-tailed Hawk.

Peggy Wang
Granville
Sent from my iPad