OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2015

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2015 14:44:19 -0500
Hiked through Lawrence Woods today...most would call it a walk, but with an
inch or two of icy snow on the boardwalk...I call it a hike. :-D

Lot's of Red-headed Woodpeckers...I counted 8 which is a new high for me
there.  Lots of other woodpeckers as well.  I got every one but a
Sapsucker...which is typical, I don't usually see evidence of their
presence till their return trip in the spring.

I found a roosting Barred Owl, which promptly flew off when it saw me.  I
began to wonder if that is where I would find him in the morning...might
have to give it another go at some point.

Harriers are flying, and all they typical woodland birds were present.  All
were singing and calling this morning, which made for a pleasant trek
around the boardwalk.  Also had a 20 Canada Goose flyover.  List of
everything below.  Can't wait for spring!

Happy Birding and God Bless!

Steve J

Lawrence Woods State Nature Preserve, Hardin, US-OH
Jan 17, 2015 9:00 AM - 10:42 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
Comments:     Submitted from  BirdLog NA for Android v1.9.6
20 species

Canada Goose  20
Northern Harrier  1
Mourning Dove  4