OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2009

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 2009 19:50:29 -0700
I was at Wildwood State Park in Cleveland this morning.  There weren't as many warblers as Friday evening.  From 8 to 10am things were active then they died down except for the Yellow-rumps down from the woods near the creek out of the wind.  I left at 11:30am.  Most numerous birds, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Winter Wrens, White-throated Sparrows, Flickers.  I returned from 3-4:40pm but didn't find much new except many Winter Wrens moving through the woods.  Here are some of the birds seen:

Black-crowned Night-Heron 1 adult
Coopers Hawk 1
Chimney Swifts - many
Northern Flickers - many
Blue-headed Vireo 1
Brown Creepers 3
Carolina Wren 1, House Wren 1, Winter Wrens 12-15
Golden-crowned Kinglets 4, Ruby-crowned 15+ heard more
Brown Thrasher 1

Warblers:
Nashville 5
Magnolia 3
Black-throated Blue 1m
Yellow-rumped 5-6  more heard
Blackpoll 1
Common Yellowthroat 3 (2m + 1f)
Wilsons 1

Song Sparrow 4, Lincolns 1, Swamp 2, White-throated - many

Found a Red-shouldered Hawk across from the Giant Eagle (actually from First Merit) on south side of Rt 6 in Willoughby Hills on the power lines.  It would swoop down to a very small field (west of big apartment building) fly back to power lines then fly to light pole near Fifth Third Bank in front of new houses and then return again.  Lots of traffic driving by.  Was still there when I left after 15 mins.  I didn't want the police stopping me in a bank parking lot.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/