OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2015

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Andrew Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2015 10:08:35 -0500
Hi all

The Columbus Audubon Avid Birders trip to Cleveland was an interesting one
to be sure. We actually started in Canton, where we waited for an hour for
the White-Winged Crossbill, who is apparently feeling better and had moved
on.

We visited Eastlake Power Plant twice: once in the morning and again in the
afternoon after the Harlequin Duck made their appearance. A Red-necked
Grebe is also hanging out here, along with the usual waterfowl you find at
Lake Erie in the winter.

A visit to the Cuyahoga River was rewarded with a third-year Thayer's Gull,
a flyover Glaucous Gull, and a huge ship manoeuvering the twists of the
river, followed by a horde of gulls.  A Lesser Black - backed Gull made an
incredibly brief appearance in the wake of the ship.

We finished at Cleveland-Hopkins Airport, where one of our group was
fortunate to glimpse a distant Snowy Owl as the sun went down.

A tip for the Eastlake ducks: the Harlequin blends in quite well with the
steel breakwall, so look carefully when scanning that area. We had the
Long-tailed on the very eastern side of the open water, and it was making
brief appearances from behind what can be best described as an ice castle.
Patience is required!

Good Birding,
Andy Sewell
Columbus