OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2018

OHIO-BIRDS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cole DiFabio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cole DiFabio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2018 18:10:56 -0500
Good evening and Happy Thanksgiving!

As many of you may be recovering from a food coma, some birders might
appreciate a comparison of 2017 vs. 2018 bird sightings in the state of
Ohio.

Resources: eBird primarily, as well as Facebook

I was comparing species observed and reported to eBird in 2017 versus 2018
and noticed that on this day, November 22, 2018, the Ohio overall eBird
year list is currently tied with the complete Ohio eBird year list from
last year (331 species overall in 2017). I was intrigued and made a list of
birds recorded in 2017 but not 2018, and vice versa. I would like to point
out, however, that if the Sabine's Gull that was reported from Ashtabula
County a week ago by John Pogacnik were eBirded, 2018 would be one species
higher than last year.

If any errors are found in my post, feel free to correct me.

Here are the results:

Species eBirded in 2017, but not 2018 (yet)  (The species in bold are
species I think will be the easiest, specifically relating to the birds
listed below. However, some are not easy!!)

King Eider, (two locations, completely opposite ends of the state), Anna’s
Hummingbird, Calliope Hummingbird, *Purple Sandpiper, Red Phalarope,
Black-headed Gull,* Sooty Tern, Northern Gannet, Tricolored Heron, White
Ibis, Say’s Phoebe, Vermilion Flycatcher, *Cave Swallow*, *White-winged
Crossbill.*

Species eBirded in 2018, but not 2017

Cinnamon Teal (two locations), Western Grebe, Purple Gallinule, Curlew
Sandpiper, Roseate Spoonbill, Gray Kingbird, Western Kingbird (two
locations), Northern Wheatear, Varied Thrush, Chestnut-collared Longspur,
Smith’s Longspur, Black-throated Gray Warbler, Black-headed Grosbeak.

Total species eBirded in 2018, but not in 2017: 13

Total first state records in 2018: 2

Thanks Andy and Erin Avram (Chestnut-collared Longspur, May)! and Jeff
Peters (Gray Kingbird, October)! Great work guys.

Total species eBirded in 2017, but not in 2018: 14

Total first state records in 2017: 0

Note: Sabine's Gull was reported in both 2017 and 2018, but it was not
eBirded this year.

In conclusion, who will be the first to fill in the gaps for this year? 😉

I think, with the five bold species above, plus throw in a rarity or two, a
goal of 338-340 is reasonable. Let's get it done.

Good birding!
--
Cole DiFabio